Butcher's Bunches Handcrafted Preserves was just named one of top five healthiest foods for the year 2011 and would love to share some of our favorite recipes with you. Some will use our products, some won't; it doesn't matter, we love to cook and play with our food! We hope you do too!!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Junior Proms vs. Surgery

At Seventeen . . .

When I was seventeen the only thing that mattered to me was friends, singing and dancing, Madrigals, laughing, giggling, crying, dating, Jake's Pizza, Taco Bravo, driving over 17 to Santa Cruz, hanging out and just being a kid.  I went to Christmas Balls, Jr. & Sr. Balls (proms) and Sadie Hawkins Dances and YES, they were important events-to me.


That being said, Kenneth (who is seventeen) and I went to his doctor today for a pre-op appointment.  We talked a litte, made paper frogs while waiting for the doctor; these paper amphibians are all taking naps in my purse right now--Kenneth says that they are very tired from the Dr.'s visit.  We also received some more news from Dr. Felix.  In the past couple of weeks the curvature in Kenneth's spine has increased by 7%.  This is not good.  His ribcage is actually moving because of it.  This is the reason my little baby's body looks so twisted.

Today was kind of a fact gathering day for us and I asked the hard questions.  No, Kenneth will not be able to bend his back after the surgery.  No, the surgery is not a guarantee; the best outcome they can predict is a fifty percent correction, possibly a seventy-five percent correction.  No, they cannot guarantee that his spine will not curve anymore between today and the surgery date.  (at least three weeks out.) No, No, No.  But YES it will save his life.

While in the Dr.'s office I found out that Kenneth wants to go to the Junior Prom at Logan High School.  He wants to wear a Gray Suit and a purple flower.  He wants to go with two friends and have fun dancing..  BREAK dancing-cause that is his "style."  :)  Prom is May 19, 2012.  After the surgery, their will be no Break dancing.  No dancing with his whole heart like he has done for years.  He is the only kid I know that knows all of Britney Spears dance moves by heart and will do them on demand.. kind of like cable.  I will miss "oops, I did it again . . ."

Five Generations of Love and Life . . .
Some things happen only once in your lifetime.  Kenneth's surgery is scheduled for May 25th.  He is going to prom on the 19th.  Life is too short.  I really hope he has the best Junior Prom ever.  I hope he always remembers how much we love him.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. I too hope he dances his heart out at Junior Prom and I look forward to seeing pics of him in his grey suit with his purple flower. Go Kenneth!
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! I guarantee he will dance his heart out, I just need to figure out how to sneak in and get some action photos! I will post, never fear.

      Delete
  2. do you think he'd notice if i snuck into the dance and took pictures??? ;)

    actually not sure i want to do that... i'd probably get roped into dancing with him! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! That would make his life Alycia! You should do it!

      Delete
  3. Is he getting rods put in his back? my sister had that surgery when she was 12. she can bend at her neck and at her waist. it has been 20 years and i'd say she is pretty active. there are for sure things that she can not do, but hopefully you will be suprised at what kenneth CAN do! :) (melanie r)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melanie!! I missed this post! He is doing soo well... I am just about to do an update on him!! :)

    ReplyDelete